Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Advani gets IIM student as intern in election team

KOLKATA: When the Lok Sabha elections are announced, a student of Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, will be stepping into an internship

that has, perhaps, never been attempted or aspired for before.

Harsh Vardhan Chhaparia, who has just passed out of IIM-C, will be joining BJP's prime ministerial candidate L K Advani's campaign team. An assignment will be waiting for this management graduate in March.

A self-confessed admirer of Advani, Harsh had dreamed of this moment for several months before he picked up the phone and sought an appointment with the leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha last month. He didn't expect a reply so soon.

"He was kind enough to see me on January 30. He wanted to know why I was keen on volunteering for his campaign. I made no bones about my intentions. I told him that I wanted to know what Indian politics was all about. Managers and politicians deal with people. He agreed,'' says Harsh, who was the students' council president at IIM-C.

When he met Advani at his home in Delhi, the veteran politician gave him a signed copy of his autobiography, My Country, My Life. "He also took the pains to take me to his library,'' Harsh says.

Advani confirmed meeting Harsh. "Yes, he came to Delhi and met me. He told me that he wants to join my campaign team. But if you ask me, we are yet to decide his role, about the kind of job he will get. It is too early to comment. It all depends on the campaign strategy,'' he says.

Politics has always been a passion for Harsh, who took his engineering degree from Singapore's Nanyang Technological University where he was vice-president of the students' body.

"I understand his organisational capabilities and I will try to learn from him the way he handles challenges,'' says Harsh, who is now reading Advani's autobiography to understand him and his ideals better. "I would love to know from this towering personality the art of making a public impact,'' says Harsh, who will head for his new position at a global consultancy firm once the election is over.

0 comments: