Friday, November 28, 2008

Rescued Iraqi citizen thanks commandos

November 28, 2008 12:38 IST

"I am hungry and thirsty," said Muneer Al Mahaj, one of the hostages who came out of Oberoi hotel on Friday morning.

"Let me eat first. I have not seen a proper meal for the last 36 hours. I have been surviving only on biscuits and that too got over. Last night, I ran out of water too," said Muneer.

Muneer, an Iraqi citizen, was in Mumbai for a business trip with one of his friends.

He was staying on the fourth floor of the Oberoi hotel when the terrorists stormed the hotel. Muneer was one of the 93 hostages that were released from Oberoi hotel on Friday morning.

The Oberoi hired special luxury buses for all their guests and took them to another hotel.

"I cannot believe what I have seen in the last 36 hours. I have seen dead bodies, blood everywhere and only heard gunshots," added Muneer.

He, however, said that he did not see any terrorists.

Muneer was staying on the fourth floor of the Oberoi hotel when terrorists entered the hotel.

"First I thought it will get over by next day morning, but I could not believe that these terrorists took all of us hostage fore more than 36 hours," said Muneer.

Asked him what was his worst fear in the last 36 hours, he said, "The thought that I will not be able to live and see next day. This thought kept cropping up every moment and we all were very close to death and lucky to survive."

Did you think of escaping?

"I thought so but could not do as there was firing all the time. I could not take a risk and the same was the case with many other people."

He was very grateful to Indian commandos, "They did a very commendable job. They made us feel safe."

So will he make a next trip to Mumbai, "Sure. Why not? I love Mumbai and Indians. I found them very friendly."

0 comments: